Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Safety of Secrets




I really enjoyed The Safety of Secrets by Delaune Michel. It is the story of a woman, Fiona, who has been friends with her best friend, Patricia, since first grade. They share a secret of something horrible that happened to them as children, but despite that, have maintained their relationship into adulthood. Now their past comes back to haunt them and one of them betrays the other by telling their childhood secret. I really enjoyed the character of Fiona. She was down to earth, despite living among the plastic in LA. I identified with her because she was pregnant after having had a previous miscarriage and, having been in that situation, I felt Michel got the feelings and fear that go along with that right on. I wasn't too fond of Patricia and at times I wondered why Fiona remained her friend, but in the end I understood. Fiona's feelings as a new mother and facing her issues with her own mother were real and I identified with her easily. Overall I thought it was a very good book. It was an easy read and most of it was funny, light material, despite dealing with some serious issues. I would recommend this book to any woman, because I think any woman can identify with the character of Fiona and learn from her mistakes. 4 stars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kimberly,
I just found your blog. Thanks so much for that thoughtful review of my book. I'm so happy that you enjoyed it, and I really appreciate you including it in your blog. Thanks for this. Your baby is darling!! I grew up in Baton Rouge, so have been to Houston a good amount. It's nice to connect with another Southerner!! Hope your week is great.
:)

Anna said...

I enjoyed this book as well. I had mixed feelings about Fiona's character, though. Michel's writing was great, and the book was a fast read.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric